When I come up with a treatment plan for my patients, the one area people have the most difficulty with is changing their diet. I eat very healthy and I understand the frustration in finding different, but delicious recipes. Some frustration comes from the hype we hear about the new “super food” this and “super food that?
For a change of pace this week I am posting a delicious healthy recipe that includes one of the “newest” super foods, cauliflower. Its a bit decadent but as they say, change is best when done slow.
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Lemony Brown Butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 4 large garlic cloves, quartered
- 1 ½-inch piece peeled ginger, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 ½ Tbs. plus ⅛ tsp. curry powder, divided
- ¼ tsp. whole cloves
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 small head cauliflower, leaves removed, stem trimmed (1¼ lb.)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
Lemony Brown Butter
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbs. golden raisins
- 2 tsp. dark rum, optional
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp. grated lemon zest
1. To make Roasted Cauliflower: Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Combine 8 cups water with onion, garlic, ginger, 11/2 Tbs. curry powder, cloves, salt, and peppercorns in large pot; bring to a boil. Add cauliflower, stem side up, and simmer 15 minutes, or until slightly softened. Drain, and pat dry. Rub cauliflower with oil, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Place cauliflower on prepared baking sheet stem side down, and roast 35 to 40 minutes, or until brown and crisp on top.
4. Meanwhile, to make Lemony Brown Butter: Heat butter in small saucepan over medium-high heat 4 minutes, or until milk solids begin to brown. Add raisins and rum (if using). Cool 3 minutes, then stir in lemon juice and zest.
5. Slice cauliflower, and sprinkle with remaining 1/8 tsp. curry powder. Drizzle with Lemony Brown Butter